Spring is all about blooming flowers, green grass, fresh air, and great temperatures.
Unfortunately, it is also the time where your home welcomes ants. More specifically, carpenter ants.
Whether you are opening your windows to refresh the stale air of winter or you are engaging in some much-needed spring projects, be on the lookout for this standard Spring-time threat and implement proper ant control in Toronto to prevent those insects from taking hold of your house.
Spring Cleaning? Add in Some Carpenter Ant Prevention Too
Effective ant control starts with prevention.
While you are tackling your spring projects, do not forget to implement a few insect prevention to-dos’ in your list, such as:
- Correcting any roof leaks. Surprisingly, these holes create moisture and carpenter ants thrive in humidity. Fixing that leaking roof or pipe could ensure they do not have a reason to enter.
- Seal all cracks and openings in your home’s foundation.
- Trim back trees and other vegetation that touches the siding or roof, which offers ants a free path into your home.
- Eliminate all wood-to-ground contact. So, if you are prepping the fire pit, do not forget to put that firewood up and off the ground.
- Replace or seal any rotting wood around windows and doors, because these are prime access points for carpenter ants as well as other spring pests.
Know the Signs of Carpenter Ant Infestation and Call an Ant Exterminator in Toronto Quick
Carpenter ants are destructive little insects.
They like to burrow and damage wood, which could threaten the structural integrity of your home.
While these insects prefer outdoors, they will find their way into your home if you offer them decaying, moist, or hollow wood.
Here is the kicker, however.
Your carpenter ants are not there to eat wood.
Instead, they are foragers, per the Government of Canada, who like to eat dead insects and nectar from plants. However, wood surfaces are what they use to create their nests.
If you suspect that your home has become a carpenter ant victim, some signs will help confirm your suspicion, including:
- Ant Sightings: If you spot a carpenter ant in your house, do not assume one ant is not a threat. Usually, the carpenter ants sent out to forage for food do so far away from the nest, but that nest is most likely in your home’s walls.
- Piles of Shavings: When the nest grows, you will see piles of wood shavings under wooden items. This is because the carpenter ant burrows to establish a nest.
- Rustling Sounds: You may hear faint rustling inside your walls or other woodwork in your home as the workers start to burrow and move around.
Contact an Ant Exterminator in Toronto for Your Carpenter Ant Issues
This spring, take those carpenter ants head on with the power of a professional exterminator.
At Power Pest Control, we know where carpenter ants like to hide, and we can remove them using our innovative pest removal services.
We’re a proud owner of an A+ rating with the BBB, and we have excellent reviews on HomeStars.com.
Get serious about pest control.
Contact Power Pest Control in Toronto for your extermination needs at 647-708-7378 or contact us online.